Can You Use a Regular Refrigerator for Flowers?
In the world of floristry, there are many questions about how to store and care for flowers. One of the most common questions is whether or not you can use a regular refrigerator for flowers. The short answer is yes, you can use a regular refrigerator for flowers, but it is hardly an ideal solution for flower freshness and longevity.
Benefits of Refrigerating Flowers
Refrigerating flowers has several benefits. First, it slows down the process of wilting and keeps them looking fresh longer. This is especially helpful if you’re planning to use the flowers in an arrangement or bouquet that will last for several days. Second, refrigerating flowers helps prevent bacteria from growing on them, which can cause them to rot or become discolored. Finally, flower refrigerators help preserve the color and shape of the flower petals, which is important if you’re using them in a decorative arrangement.
Drawbacks of Refrigerating Flowers
Although refrigerating flowers has many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. First, refrigeration can cause some types of flowers to lose their scent over time. This is especially true with fragrant varieties like roses and lilies. Second, refrigeration can cause certain types of flowers to become brittle and break easily when handled or moved around. Finally, some types of flowers may not be able to tolerate cold temperatures at all and could be damaged by being placed in a refrigerator for too long.
Tips for Refrigerating Flowers Safely
If you decide that refrigerating your flowers is the best option for preserving their freshness and beauty, there are some tips you should follow:
- Make sure that your flower refrigerator is set at the right temperature - this will vary depending on the type of flower you are refrigerating. Temperatures that are too cold could damage your flowers or cause them to freeze. For example, tropical flowers will require warmer temperatures compared to other varieties.
- Ensure your flower cooler is set up properly to minimize air flow. Ancaster’s refurbished flower coolers are designed with air baffles to reduce the velocity of air in the cabinet. This also works to raise humidity levels within the cabinet which is necessary for flower storage.
- Make sure that your flower refrigerator isn’t overcrowded with other items so that air can circulate freely around your flower arrangements or bouquets. This will keep the cabinet temperature more stable although there should never be food products mixed in the same fridge as flowers or plants!!
- Remove any wilted or discolored petals before storing your flower arrangements in the refrigerator so they don’t contaminate other items inside the fridge.
- Take your flower arrangements out of the refrigerator at least once every 24 hours so they can “breathe” and get some fresh air before being put back into storage again.
Using a regular refrigerator for storing flowers can be an effective short term solution if done correctly. However, it’s important to follow proper storage techniques such as setting the temperature correctly and within a tight range and using airflow controls. This will prevent your flowers from becoming damaged by cold temperatures or dry out from exposure to cold air inside the fridge. For peace of mind, leave the setup of your flower refrigerator to the experts at Ancaster Food Equipment. With over 30 years in the industry and thousands of flower refrigerators sold across North America, you know you’ll be in good hands!
One of the most prominent benefits of using floral coolers is that business owners lose fewer flowers to stem and petal wilt, infectious bacteria, and plant dehydration. With a longer shelf life, consumers will be more satisfied with their products and become repeat customers. Investing in a cooler for flowers provides a greater return on investment by reducing money loss due to product waste. When looking at the costs of standard coolers vs. floral coolers, there is sometimes a draw to the less costly unit. However, in storing living organisms, the chances of losing money due to the wrong cooler is higher. Selecting a customized flower cooler ensures your products last longer and sell better.